The Laboratory of New Technologies in Communication, Education and the Mass Media (UoA NTLab) was founded in June 1996 (Official Journal of the Greek Government No. 111A/10-6-1996), whereas it operates since 1992 within the Department of Culture, Environment, Communication Applications and Technology of the Faculty of Communication and Mass Media Studies of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. The Laboratory serves research and educational needs of the Faculty of Communication and Mass Media Studies in the domain of new technologies and their applications in communication, education and the mass media.
UoA NTLab is active in fields of Research and Technological Development such as digital communication services, multimedia, hypermedia and virtual reality systems, machine understanding and synthetic communication, adaptive, personalised and intelligent communication systems, visual communication and visual design, manmachine communication, ergonomics, computer-mediated communication, the relation between space and environment in the digital age, new media literacy, digital art, digital culture and digital civilization, digital games, web content, network communities and participatory media, journalism and mass media in digital networks, digital technologies in open and distance learning, digital communication, digital governance and digital innovation applications.
The Laboratory's activities include:
- The digital desktop publishing and the creative art direction of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens monthly newspaper 'EDO PANEPISTIMIO'.
- The development of experimental Web applications, as well as the construction and administration of websites. Among the projects undertaken by the Laboratory are the development of websites for the Faculty of Communication and Media Studies, the newspaper 'EDO PANEPISTIMIO' and the University Research Institute of Applied Communication. The Laboratory WebTeam has also developed the Webradio of the Faculty of Communication and Media Studies and many applications for the collection and processing of electronic data via the Internet.
- Participation, in collaboration with the European Universities Institut Superieur de Commerce Saint-Louis (Belgium), Universite de Metz (France), Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Portugal) και Kemi-Tornio Polytechnic (Finland) in the Postgraduate Degree Program European Master in Audiovisual and Multimedia Business Administration which was conducted in the framework of the E.U. Programme MEDIA II.
- Participation, in collaboration with the European Universities Institut Superieur de Commerce Saint-Louis (Belgium), Universite de Metz (France), Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Portugal) και Kemi-Tornio Polytechnic (Finland) in the Postgraduate Degrees European Master in Ε- Business Management and European Master in Cybercommunication which were conducted in the framework of the E.U. Programme LEONARDO.
- Participation, in collaboration with the European Universities University of Lapland (Finland), Haute Ecole «Groupe ICHEC - ISC Saint-Louis – ISFSC» (Belgium), Faculty of Human Sciences and Arts, Paul Verlaine University-Metz (France), Karol Adamiecki University of Economics in Katowice, Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice (Poland) and Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculty of Social and Human Sciences (Portugal), in the project European Master on Arts, Culture and International Management (EMACIM), which aims at designing and creating the curriculum and educational content for a European Joint Master’s Degree programme.
- Participation in the SOCRATES GRUNDTVIG – Educational Partnerships (EU Programme on Education).
- The Laboratory organized in November 2003 the 11th International Mobius Awards Festival for the best multimedia productions. The festival aims to promote the quality in multimedia creations in the fields of education, culture, science and fiction. Since 1999, the New Technologies Laboratory is responsible for the organisation of the National Mobius Awards for the best Greek multimedia productions.
- The Laboratory, in collaboration with the University Research Institute of Applied Communication of the University of Athens, has been participating since 2008 in the initiative of the World Usability Day (http://www.worldusabilityday.org/), with the organisation of a series of annual events on the issues of usability and accessibility (Usability and Accessibility Days).
- In the context of the Programme “Seirines” (EPEAEK), the Laboratory had the responsibility of the design of an educational cd-rom «'21 En Plo».
- In the context of the Programme «Intercultural Approach of Myths, Mathematics and Learning Difficulties in the New Technological Communication Environment» (INTERREG II) the Laboratory was responsible for the creation of a educative multimedia cd-rom with the title «PERSEAS».
- Within the framework of the project Specialised Formation of General and Special Education Teachers and Production of Educational Material for Mild Mental Retardation the Laboratory developed The Magic Potion, an adventure-style game for learning for primary and secondary education students with mild intellectual disability. The game was developed (http://www.media.uoa.gr/epinoisi).
- The Laboratory has realised the design, organisation and implementation of training seminars for teachers/educators and journalists on the new media.
Assistant Professor Constantinos Mourlas
Assistant Professor Dimitris Charitos
Lecturer Dimitris Gouscos
Lecturer Andreas Giannakoulopoulos
Nicky Papastavrou - e-mail:
5, Stadiou str. - office 702-703, Laboratory
2, Kalamiotou Str., 2nd floor
+30 210 368 9425 /
+30 210 368 9426 / +30 210 368 92 68.